Key data on the property market in Bremen
Record values for 2021 and restraint in the first months of the current year.
A stable market with excellent prospects
The situation on the Bremen real estate market presents a mixed picture. The opportunities for logistics properties, investment properties or the redevelopment of neighborhoods remain very good.
You will find these and other figures in the annual real estate report, which Bremeninvest produces for the Bremen property market in collaboration with renowned market analysis institutes.
On this page, you will find the latest data for the investment market and the office, logistics, residential and retail real estate segments.
You can download the reports from the past two years in the right-hand navigation panel. All of the reports are also available on the Downloads/Publications page.
You can receive regular updates on the latest developments by reading our Bremen-Stories.
2022: Take-up | Construction Activity | Price Levels
- Vacancy rate only slightly increased at 3.3% (2021: 3.3%)
- Best result since 1994: 145,000 m² of newly leased office space (some large-volume leases)
- First half of 2022 off to a cautious start (40,000 m²)
- 32,600 m² of new office space completed in 2021 (forecast 2022: over 80,000 m² of new office space)
- Prime rents around 14 euros/m²
2022: Take-up | Commercial estates | Price Levels
- Logistics warehouse space inventory up slightly to 3.238 million m² (2021: 3.2 million m²)
- Take-up: 218,100 m² (2021: 366,000 m² | 2020: 238,800 m²)
- Vacancy rate low at 1.54% (2021: 3.83%)
- Rents for logistics properties up slightly to 3.38 euros/m² (previous year: 3.36 euros/m²)
- Rents remain more favorable than in BIG 5 metropolitan areas
2022: Structure | Locations | Price levels
Bremen's city center is once again attracting more visitors, and the number of passers-by is almost back to the level seen before the Corona pandemic. In addition, project developments such as the Balgequartier or the Lebendiges Haus are providing new impetus in the city center. A furniture store has moved into the former Galeria Kaufhof building in a prime city location. The Kontorhaus am Markt is set to become a visitor magnet: Among other things, Bremen's new Stadtmusikanten and Literature House is being built on 1,000 square meters.
- Purchasing power increased to 3,988.2 million euros (Report 2021: 3,686.2 million euros)
- Sales at 3,731.6 million euros (Report 2021: 3,546.7 million euros)
- Retail rents: City center peaks at 112 euros/m² (Report 2021: 115 euros/m²)
2022: Demographics | Price levels | Forecasts
- 83 % of all permits and 84 % of all completed buildings are single-story apartments
- Purchase price levels again rose more strongly than rental levels
- Around 10,000 new residential units to be built in Bremen by the end of 2025
- Average rent level for new apartments 12 euros/m² (increase of 4.3 %)
- Average purchase prices at 4,500 euros/m².
- Purchase prices for owner-occupied apartments rise by 7.1 percent (2021 report: 3.8 percent)
2022: Transactions | Yields | Price levels
- Investment volume in 2021 of 576 million euros just reached the record result of 2017 (577 million euros)
- First half of 2022 a quarter fewer transactions than year-on-year
- Apart from a few exceptionally large transactions, the market in 2021 was mainly characterized by small and mid-sized volumes
- In terms of property types, demand was particularly strong for the office asset class, with a volume of around 190 million euros and a market share of around 33 percent